Friday, August 26, 2011

Plum Chutney

I still had a lot of plums left over from last week's syrup-making, so after a few plum cobblers and Plum Crumbles, I decided to make plum chutney.  I found this recipe (modified below only very slightly) in My Bombay Kitchen by Niloufer Ichaporia King, one of my favorite cookbooks.  Everything that I've made from that book is AMAZING.  This chutney is no different.  It's hot, sweet, salty, and sour.

6 pounds tomatoes, chopped roughly (I used plums!)
1 cup thinly sliced garlic
1 cup julienned ginger
3 cups cider vinegar (or more to taste)
1 cup raisins (optional)
4 cups turbinado sugar (or more to taste)
3 tablespoons cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
1 2-inch cinnamon stick
8 whole cloves
1 tablespoon salt (or more to taste)
peel of 1 unsprayed orange (optional)

Combine all ingredients except for the orange peel in a large, non-reactive kettle.  Bring to a boil and stir to make sure that all ingredients are well combined.  Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 hours or until the chutney is the consistency of a soft jam.  If you desire, add the orange near the end.  Let cool slightly and taste for seasoning; adjust if you need to.  King says that it should be "emphatically" hot, sweet, salty, and sour.

No comments:

Post a Comment