Our good friend Vicky Yim, of Sweets by Vicky, posted this recipe- a vanilla genoise with strawberry rose coulis, strawberry cream cheese filling, and classic crème chantilly- and our mouths are watering. I've copied the recipe below. Photos by Vicky Yim.
Birthday Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese
1.5 recipe x GF Genoise; bake in 3 x 6inch round tins. Cool completely.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
250g frozen strawberries (frozen berries ensure consistency in flavour)
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp rose water OR 2 tsp Rose Syrup (I used Royal Rose NY)
1 tsp vanilla
1) Thaw berries in the microwave or overnight.
2) Process berries and its juices in the blender until smooth. Leave the seeds in.
3) Place the liquid berries into a small saucepan. Add in all other ingredients.
4) On medium heat, cook the sauce until it thickens. Allow to cool completely.
Strawberry Cream Cheese
250g cream cheese, room temperature
60g butter, room temperature
1.5 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/4 cup strawberry coulis
1) In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter
together until smooth on LOW. Add in the icing sugar and beat well.
2) Slowly add in the strawberry coulis and beat well until combined on
LOW. Use immediately or place in the fridge until ready to use.
300ml whipping cream, very chilled
1/4 cup icing sugar
1) In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the cream and icing sugar
until medium peaks form. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
1) Mix 1/2 cup warm water with 1 tsp vanilla. This is your imbibing syrup.
2) Take 1 of the genoise layers and brush with imbibing syrup. This is your bottom later.
3) Top layer with 2 tbsp of strawberry coulis and spread evenly across
the layer. Using a piping bag fitted with a 10mm round piping tip, pipe
the strawberry cream cheese filling over the coulis in a circular
motion. Top with second layer. Repeat with coulis and cream cheese.
4) Top with 3rd layer and brush top with imbibing syrup. Cover cake top
and sides with the creme chantilly. Sprinkle rainbow happiness with wild