Friday, October 12, 2012

The Artist's Special

I've recently re-discovered the pre-dinner cocktail.  There is something that feels so good about treating yourself to a real libation before you eat dinner.  It reeks of- dare I say- sophistication?  Maybe I just feel civilized while drinking an aperitif because it means I'm not inhaling snacks before dinner and spoiling my appetite, I don't know- but I do know that not just any cocktail will do.  You could make something from this book:

(Where I found my new favorite drink, the Tuxedo: gin, vermouth, maraschino liqueur, and orange bitters.)
Or you could just make a well-balanced, hard-hitting, drink-it-while-it's-still-smiling-at-you drink.  In case you're looking for something special, you can try out this variation on the classic drink from the Savoy Cocktail Book, the Artist's Special. Rye whiskey, amontillado sherry, and our Cardamom-Clove Syrup make for a delicious combination.

1 1/2 oz. rye whiskey (I used Bulleit)
1 1/2 oz. amontillado sherry
3/4 oz. Royal Rose Cardamom-Clove Syrup
1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
3 dashes Boker's bitters

Combine ingredients with ice and shake.  Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist.


No comments:

Post a Comment