Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Imbibing in Boston

It's been ages since I went out for a drink in Boston, and it turns out I've been missing a LOT of incredible cocktails.  Forrest and I went to The Hawthorne last night, a bar downstairs in the Hotel Commonwealth.  Life is good when you're sitting at a beautiful marble bar, eating homemade pretzels, and experiencing incredible craft cocktails made by the inimitable Katie - a bartender with no attitude and a lot of skill.  My favorite drink of the evening was tied between a Moto Guzzi - Punt e Mes and bourbon - and a flip to end all flips.  Look!


Moto Guzzi
A flip whose exact ingredients I can't remember...
Unfortunately, as the night wore on, I became less meticulous, shall we say, in my noting of drink recipes.  Too bad.  I will find out what was in that flip ...even if I have to drink 10 more to do so!

At least someone else was paying attention to the craft: Forrest and Katie came up with a new creation that was surprisingly balanced and refreshing.  We are still trying to come up with a name for this beauty:

1 1/2 oz. Bols Genever
1/2 oz. Old Tom Ransom gin
1/2 oz. Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
1/2 oz. honey simple syrup
1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
3 dashes bitters (Reagans citrus or Peychauds)
cherry, to garnish

Shake ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a cherry.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment